Brown bread ice cream
Photo by Babiche Martens
I first made brown bread ice cream when I cooked in shooting lodges in the Scottish Highlands; there was definitely no fancy equipment available there. And, as strange as it sounds, brown bread ice cream is delicious. The key is to remove the mixture from the freezer 20 minutes before serving so it becomes slightly soft and the brown bread is chewy. Serve with fruit or an apple pie.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Whizz bread to very chunky breadcrumbs. Place on a lined baking tray. Dissolve sugar in the water. Pour over breadcrumbs, mix well, then place in oven for 20 minutes. Toss twice during cooking. Cook until crisp and crunchy. Remove and cool.
- Beat cream until it just holds its shape. Stir through icing sugar and vanilla.
- Gently stir through cooled crumbs. Place in a bowl and freeze for 4 hours or until required.
- If the mixture has been in the freezer until solid, remove 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with grilled fruit and a fruit puree.
Check out Ray McVinnie's video on 'How to make chocolate shards'