Apple and apricot shortcake
Photo by Tamara West
Use stewed apple and apricot in this classic Kiwi shortcake recipe.
- Heat oven to 180C. Cut baking paper to line the bottom of a shallow cake tin (approx. 22cm).
- In a bowl cream butter and sugar then beat in egg and lemon zest. Sift in flour, baking powder and salt and mix just to form a dough.
- Rest dough in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Cut dough in half and neatly press one half in to the cake tin to cover the bottom.
- Remove the dough and paper and place in the fridge while you reline the tin with baking paper and press in the remaining dough.
- Place a layer of stewed fruit on to dough base, top with the dough from the fridge and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden and risen.
- Cool, dust with icing sugar, and serve with fresh cream.