Tropical fruit and almond cake
( SERVES 10 )
Photo by Tamara West
It can be hard to find a sweet treat that isn’t loaded with copious amounts of refined sugar. Nadia Lim to the rescue with this delicious cake!
- Heat oven to 165C. Lightly grease and line a round (about 22cm diameter) spring-form cake tin with baking paper on the bottom and sides.
- Mash bananas with egg yolks and vanilla. Mix in dates, mango, pineapple, ground almonds, coconut, honey and coconut oil/butter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks. Gently fold into the almond batter.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake tin and top with the flaked almonds. Bake for 1 hour or until golden and cooked through. To test if the cake is done, insert a wooden skewer into the middle of the cake. It should come out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and, after 5 minutes, remove from cake tin and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve with a dollop of creme fraiche or yoghurt on the side.
Note: Keep this cake in the fridge - it will last 3-4 days.