Natural Bluff Oysters with Wasabi Tobikko and Granny Smith Apple Chardonnay Granita
For Bluff oyster season, if you're over au naturel, then try this recipe supplied by Clooney head chef Des Harris. Works well on other varieties of the bivalve too.
- 2:1 ratio of freshly juiced green apple to chardonnay vinegar (Forum brand is best, available from Sabato).
- Freeze the apples for a couple of hours to ensure they're cold. Pre-freezing apples helps juice retain greenness.
- Cut pieces off the core and put through an electric juicer.
- Allow to stand for 1 minute and skim off foam.
- Pass the juice and add the chardonnay vinegar, stirring to combine.
- Pour into a pre-chilled shallow tray & place in the freezer.
- Every hour run a dinner fork through the mix to create large granules, do this until the mix is frozen.
- To serve: top each oyster with a speck of wasabi caviar and freshly cracked pepper if desired.
- Serve granita to the side and accompany each oyster with a teaspoon of frozen granita.