Punjabi chicken and silverbeet
( SERVES 4 )
This Punjabi chicken is traditionally made with spinach but it’s just as good with silverbeet. Green tomatoes add the tart factor but it’s fine to use red if yours are doing what they should! It’s a curry with goodness and everyone loves it.
- Fry the cardamom, bay leaves and cinnamon in hot oil until fragrant (about 30 seconds)
- Add onion, chillies and chicken and cook for 5 minutes until chicken is slightly browned.
- Puree the garlic, ginger and tomatoes in a small food processor and add to the pan along with the ground coriander, cumin and salt. Cook, stirring every now and then, for 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile whizz the silverbeet in a food processor or blender until pureed, adding water to loosen if required.
- Add pureed silverbeet and yoghurt to the pan and simmer for 10 minutes or until everything is well incorporated and cooked through.
- Season with extra salt, ground black pepper and a good squeeze of lemon juice. Serve with steamed rice and some naan or roti.
You can double the recipe and pop half in the freezer for another time recipes. Once defrosted, reheat it gently in a covered dish in the oven and liven it up with a good squeeze of lemon juice and some extra salt and pepper before serving.