Brown rice, chicken, edamame and snow pea salad
Photo by Tamara West
For the rice salad
|1 cup||Brown rice|
|2 stalks||Lemongrass, remove the tough outer stalk and finely chop|
|600 g||Boneless chicken thighs, skinless|
|1½ cups||Edamame beans, frozen and podded|
|2||Celery stalks, finely diced|
|2||Spring onions, finely sliced|
|1||Red pepper, diced|
|2 Tbsp||Toasted sesame seeds|
|½ cup||Roasted peanuts, roughly chopped|
|¾ cup||Fresh coriander, chopped|
|¾ cup||Mint leaves, chopped|
|1||Chilli, finely sliced optional|
|100 g||Snow peas|
For the dressing
- Place rice, water and a pinch of salt in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover with a tight fitting lid and reduce to lowest heat to cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and leave to steam, still covered, for a further 8 minutes.
- Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium pan over medium high heat. Stir fry the lemongrass for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the chicken and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Add ? cup of water and cover with a lid. Cook until the chicken is cooked through and the liquid is almost all evaporated, about 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Once cool, shred the chicken, and stir back through the lemongrass. Reserve.
- Cook edamame beans in boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Add snowpeas and cook for a further 1 minute. Drain and refresh the edamame and snow peas under cold water — this will keep them crunchy and bright green.
- Mix all dressing ingredients together.
- Toss cooked brown rice, chicken, edamame, snowpeas, celery, spring onions, red peppers, sesame seeds, peanuts, herbs and chili if used. Add dressing just before serving and mix well.