Squid stuffed with chorizo, prawn and red pepper risotto, lemon and tomato fondue
Red peppers liven up this richly flavoured chorizo and prawn risotto that is used to stuff baby squid tubes. An oregano-infused tomato sauce brings freshness to the dish.
This recipe was created by The Light Horse and it's one of the 12 finalists of Bite's Estrella Damm Tapas Competition in 2014. Click here to see all of the finalists.
The Light Horse, 60 Highbrook Drive, East Tamaki, Auckland
|½||Onion, use a white onion, finely chopped|
|1 Tbsp||Crushed garlic|
|1 Tbsp||Dried oregano|
|1 Tbsp||Tomato paste|
|2 Tbsp||White wine vinegar|
|500 ml||Tomato passata|
|2 Tbsp||Brown sugar|
- To make the tomato fondue, in a medium sized saucepan, sweat onion, garlic and oregano in a little vegetable or canola oil until soft. Add tomato paste and cook for a further 5 minutes on low to medium heat.
- Add vinegar, passata and sugar and simmer on low for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm and set aside.
- Pat squid with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- In a small bowl, combine rice, chorizo, prawns, red peppers, cream cheese and chives. Mix thoroughly.
- Fill each squid tube with the mixture, being cautious not to overfill. Seal each tube with a toothpick.
- Dust squid tubes lightly in flour and shallow fry for 2 minutes on both sides until golden.
- Serve the squid immediately with the tomato fondue on the side. Accompany with a wedge of fresh or chargrilled lemon.