Photo by Doug Sherring
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC.
- Gently cook the diced onion, red pepper and mushroom in a little oil. Once softened, allow to cool and drain on a paper towel. Mix this into the minced venison.
- Add the soy, egg and breadcrumbs and season well with salt and pepper. Roll the mix into small meatballs. If you have time, chill these for an hour or so, as it helps the mix come together.
- Heat two tablespons of oil in a heavy-based pan. Dust the meatballs with a little cornflour and cook them in batches on a moderate heat. Keep the balls turning to colour evenly and seal the outsides. Sit these in a baking dish and pop into the oven for 10 minutes to finish the cooking.
- Tip the excess oil from your frying pan and put the pan back on the heat. Stir in the beef stock and add the blueberries.
- Season well and allow to bubble away to reduce and thicken before pouring over the venison balls. These can be reheated or served cool.