Pork koftas with tabbouleh and spiced yoghurt
( SERVES 4 )
These are like little homemade sausages on a stick. The salad is light and fresh – a perfect balance for the koftas.
For the koftas
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1||Onion, finely diced|
|1||Garlic clove, crushed|
|½ tsp||Ground cumin|
|1 tsp||Ground coriander|
|500 g||Pork mince|
|1 Tbsp||Fresh mint, finely chopped|
For the tabbouleh
|250 g||Bulghur wheat, or cracked wheat|
|½ cup||Fresh herbs, chopped|
|1||Red capsicum, finely diced|
|1||Red onion, finely diced|
|1||Tomato, finely diced|
For the dressing
- Heat the oil and saute the onion, garlic and spices for 3-4 minutes over a medium-low heat until softened but not coloured.
- Remove and cool for at least 5 minutes. Add mince and mint, and mix thoroughly.
- Divide the mixture and roll into logs (about 12) then pierce with a presoaked kebab skewer.
- Cook these on the barbecue or bake in the oven on a baking paper-lined tray at 190C for 10-15 minutes, turning once. You can also microwave them in batches of 4, for about 1 minute, to set them onto the ewers, then fry in a preheated pan. Cook until golden brown.
- For the salad, place the wheat in a large glass or stainless steel bowl. Pour over 4 cups of boiling water. Soak for 10 minutes. Drain off any excess moisture and add chopped herbs, peppers, onion, tomatoes. Dress.
- For sweet spiced yoghurt, combine honey and yoghurt and swirl through spices.
- Serve skewers with tabbouleh, yoghurt and lemon wedges.