Soft tacos with tuna and avocado
Photo by Babiche Martens
Oh-so easy, fun to make and delicious. Allow the mixture to marinate for 30 minutes as this slightly cooks the fish to make for a tender mouthful. You could, of course, make a bigger version for a meal and serve them with your favourite filling of beef or chicken.
The key to cooking the tortilla is a very hot pan; if it's not hot enough the tortilla will be tough. Makes 18 tacos.
- In a bowl place the cornmeal and salt. Add the water and oil and mix until you have a smooth dough.
- Divide into 24 small balls. Cover and rest for 10 minutes in the fridge.
- Flatten each ball with the palm of your hand. Place between two pieces of baking paper. Roll to 3mm thick and a 10cm diameter.
- Heat a heavy-based frying pan to very hot. Lightly spray the surface with oil.
- Cook the tortillas for 1 minute each side until lightly browned. Wrap in a cloth to keep warm and soft.
- For the filling, in a small bowl place the tuna, onion, pepper, avocado, cucumber and coriander. Add the lime juice and season with pepper and salt. Stir well and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve place a little of the tuna mix on to top of each tortilla. Serve with extra lime wedges.