Red rice salad with red capsicum, green beans and parsley
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
This rice salad is a filling meal option, and healthy too. The salad can be refrigerated, but bring to room temperature to serve.
|1 cup||Red rice|
|1||Red capsicum, large|
|1 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|250 g||Green beans|
|1 handful||Fresh parsley, roughly chopped|
- Wash the rice in clean water 2-3 times, then cover and leave to soak for 10 minutes.
- To cook the rice, drain well and place in a saucepan. Add 2 cups of water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 35 minutes. Remove from the heat and stand, covered, for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables. Remove the stalk and veins from the capsicum and cut into thin strips about 5cm long. Heat the oil in a small saucepan, add the capsicum strips and toss over the heat for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Cut the beans into 4cm lengths, simmer in salted water for 2-3 minutes, then immediately plunge into icy water so they retain their bright colour.
- Finely chop the spring onions.
- Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together.
- To assemble the salad, place the rice on a serving platter. Add the capsicum, beans and spring onion with the dressing and gently toss until well combined. Garnish with parsley.