Brown rice pilaf with fennel, ginger and lemon
( SERVES 6 )
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
The first is excellent as a healthy lunch dish or to accompany fish or lamb steaks.
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Wash the rice, then soak in cold water.
- Heat the oil in a heavy ovenproof casserole pan (Le Creuset or similar) until medium-hot. Keeping a little of the sliced fennel aside, add the onion, remaining fennel and ginger to the pan, stir well, then cook gently until the onion is golden – about 10 minutes.
- Drain the rice, add to the pan and sauté for 1 minute, stirring continuously. Stir in the stock, then season with pepper. Bring to the boil. Cover and place the dish in the oven.
- Cook until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed – 45-50 minutes. Check the rice occasionally and add water if necessary.
- Remove from the oven and add the lemon juice and zest. Stand for 5 minutes.
- To serve, taste and adjust the seasoning, adding salt if necessary, then scatter over the reserved fennel, the pine nuts and the parsley as a garnish.