Flaky aged cheddar cheese straws with tomato relish
|1 tsp||Mustard seeds|
|1||Red chilli, (seeds removed)|
|1||Onion, (finely diced)|
|1 tsp||Cumin seeds|
|1½ kgs||Tomatoes, (chopped)|
|150 ml||White wine vinegar|
- To make the relish, put all ingredients except sugar into a heavy-based saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and boil steadily for 30 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the sugar and continue to boil, stirring, for another hour.
- Puree in a food processor if a finer texture is required.
- Preheat oven to 190C. Sift the flour, baking powder and mustard into a bowl.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the cheese, then lightly beat the egg and add.
- Tip out on to a bench and gently knead until the mixture becomes a soft dough.
- Sprinkle some flour then roll out the dough to a 5mm thickness.
- Cut into thin fingers, then transfer to a greased oven tray and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- Transfer to a cooling rack before serving with the relish.