Banana strudel with caramel and butterscotch sauce
Start the day or finish a meal with these sweet sensations.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- For the butterscotch and caramel sauce, immerse the tin of condensed milk in a pot of water and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 2-2½ hours, topping up the water as necessary. Allow to cool before opening.
- Spread a thick layer of the butterscotch and caramel over the pastry.
- Cut the bananas lengthways and lay these down the middle of the pastry. Using a potato masher or a fork, lightly mash the bananas.
- Warm the chocolate spread, then spoon it over the banana.
- Sprinkle the cocoa powder over the top, then roll up the pastry. Brush with the beaten egg then bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then slice into approx. 6cm lengths. Arrange the pieces on a board, standing on their ends.
- To serve, place dollops of cream, chocolate spread and butterscotch sauce around the strudel. Shave or grate dark chocolate over the top.