Lamb moussaka pasta bake
Your family will love this easy bake and it is even better the next day for lunch.
|¼ cup||Olive oil|
|1||Onion, finely diced|
|2||Garlic cloves, crushed|
|500 g||Lamb mince|
|¼ tsp||Ground cumin|
|1 tsp||Fresh rosemary|
|500 ml||Tomato pasta sauce|
|2 cups||Milk, hot|
|½ cup||Tasty cheese, grated|
|1 to taste||Salt and pepper|
- Cook the pasta in boiling water for 8-10 minutes until just al dente, then drain.
- Heat half the oil in a large frying pan and saute the diced eggplant for 4-5 minutes until slightly coloured and softened. Set aside. Add the remaining oil to the pan and add onion, garlic, lamb, spices and rosemary. Cook for 5-8 minutes until browned and fragrant.
- Add the tomato pasta sauce and the eggplant back into the mince mixture and simmer for 5 minutes. Heat the butter in a medium saucepan. When melted and bubbling, add the flour and cook for 3-4 minutes until a sandy texture.
- Gradually add the hot milk, stirring constantly until thick and smooth. Simmer for about 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat. After 5 minutes, beat in cheese, egg and nutmeg. Season.
- Preheat the oven to 190C. In a large ovenproof dish (about 28cm x 22cm), smooth half the mince over the base, top with half the precooked pasta, and then spoon over one third of the cheese sauce. Continue with remaining mince, pasta and lastly the cheese sauce, trying to cover the pasta. Sprinkle with a little extra cheese if desired. Bake for 20-30 minutes until golden.
- Serve the bake with a salad of basil, tomato, cucumber, red onion and olives.