Slow-cooked sweet peppers with pan-fried fish steaks
Photo by Tamara West
Choosing well-priced seasonal peppers and cheaper cuts of fish make this an economical meal. Try serving it with fried up leftover potatoes.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan, add the onion and cook very gently until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chilli and cook for a further minute.
- Add the sliced peppers and tomatoes, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, cover and cook over a low heat for 35-40 minutes until the peppers are very soft. Remove the lid for about 5 minutes before the end of cooking if there is too much liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat, drop in the butter and allow to melt. Add the fish steaks and pan-fry for 4 minutes, turning once. (Timing depends on the thickness of the fish, but they keep cooking after removing from the frying pan, so they should still be slightly pink in the centre.)
- Serve fish steaks atop the slow-cooked peppers and finish with snipped chives or basil leaves.