Jane Grigson's Chinese plum sauce
This plum recipe is from Jane Grigsone’s Fruit Book (Penguin), a classical and one of the best reference books on my shelves. The spicy chutney-like sauce is excellent with barbecued spare ribs and roast duck and pork. It keeps well in a covered sterilised jar.
- Peel, core and cut up the apple.
- Cook with 4 tablespoons of water in a covered pan until soft.
- Add the other ingredients. Cover and simmer for up to an hour.
- Sieve out the stones. Taste and consider your sauce.
- If it’s very thick, add a little water. If unbearably tart, add a little sugar.
- Serve hot or cold.