Plum tart with plum jam and cream cheese frangipane
( SERVES 8 )
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
Baking or roasting stone fruit brings out its floral flavours. Roasted plums are a good accompaniment for roast meat, but my favourite way is baking plums in a luxurious tart. Try to find freestone plums for this recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Ease the pastry into a tart tin that’s either 24cm in diameter or 30cm x 22cm.
- Spread the jam evenly over the pastry. Beat the butter, cream cheese and sugar together until thick and creamy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, alternating with the flour and ground almonds.
- Spread the mixture over the jam. Cut the plums into quarters, then place evenly over the mixture.
- Bake the tart for 15 minutes at 200C, then reduce the temperature to 180C and bake until the pastry is puffed and golden at the edges and the mixture is golden and set – 40-45 minutes. Cool before serving.
- Dust with icing sugar and accompany with softly whipped cream.