Chinese chicken, cucumber and rose petal salad
|2 cloves||Garlic, (sliced)|
|3 slices||Oranges, (peel)|
|1||Chicken breast, (free-range)|
|1||Telegraph cucumber, (seeds removed if preferred)|
|70 ml||Rice vinegar|
|2 tsp||Palm sugar, (grated)|
|1||Lemon, (juice of)|
|1||Red chilli, (small, sliced)|
|1 handful||Dried rose petals, (washed)|
- In a large pot big enough to hold the whole chicken, fill with water then add one sliced spring onion, ginger, garlic, peppercorns, orange peel and salt.
- Bring to a boil then submerge the chicken, breast down. Put the lid on and bring to a simmer then cook for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat but don't lift the lid, and leave for 45 minutes.
- Fill a large bowl with iced water, carefully lift the chicken from the water and put into the iced water.
- Leave for one hour before transferring to a plate and refrigerate. When cold, slice the chicken and skin, then combine with the salad ingredients. Slice the cucumber. Heat the vinegar, sugar, lemon, coriander and chilli together, stirring to dissolve the sugar, then pour through a sieve over the cucumber and leave to marinate in the fridge for one hour. Scatter rose petals and thinly sliced spring onion over the salad.