Spinach, feta, silverbeet and egg pie
Photo by Michael Craig
This pie is great to take on a picnic - even in winter. It also makes a tasty lunch or dinner.
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Line a greased pie dish or baking dish with the pastry. The pie dish I used was 22cm x 30cm.
- Heat the butter or oil in a pan and just wilt the spinach and silverbeet leaves. Season well.
- Break 8 eggs into the base of your pastry-lined pie dish. Break the yolks with a fork.
- Place 2/3 of the wilted leaves onto the eggs and spread around the crumbled feta and the halved tomatoes.
- Break the remaining 4 eggs over this mix, reserving a little egg. Gently push the mix with a fork to distribute the eggs evenly.
- Top the pie with the remaining pastry sheets. Prick well with a fork and glaze the top with the egg wash.
- Place in the middle of the preheated oven and cook for up to an hour, checking the base is cooked before removing from the oven and allowing to cool. It is probably easier to transport the pie in the dish it was baked in. Turn it out and divide into generous slices once you have found your picnic spot.