Spanish custard with Pedro Ximenez cherries
- Place the cherries, sherry, caster sugar and lemon juice in to a small pot and bring to a simmer.
- Continue to simmer for 4-5 minutes until the cherries start to soften just a little but still retain their shape. Remove from the heat and keep to one side, allowing to cool.
- Place the milk, cream, lemon rind and vanilla into a medium-sized pot and bring to the boil over medium heat.
- Whisk eggs and sugar briefly together in a mixing bowl before pouring hot cream mixture over the eggs, whisking as you do so. Return custard to the pot.
- Reduce the heat and cook slowly for 15 minutes stirring continuously until thick. (Be warned! Don’t walk away or turn the heat up because it will curdle.)
- Remove from the heat and pour into a separate dish and chill until completely cold.
- Spoon chilled custard into glasses just before serving and top with cherries and sherry syrup.