Beef and olive empanadas
( SERVES 4 )
Make a meal of these Spanish-style pies and serve them with a salad.
- Heat the oven to 200 degC.
- Heat oil in a pan, add onion and cook gently until soft.
- Add minced beef and stir until browned.
- Add chilli, cumin, paprika and spring onions and cook, stirring for a few minutes. Add olives and season to taste with salt and pepper, before leaving to cool.
- Cut rounds out of the pastry with a medium-size circle cutter. Brush the borders with the egg.
- Place 2 Tbsp of the beef mixture in the centre of each circle, discarding excess liquid to prevent pastry becoming soggy.
- Fold pastry in half over the filling and press the borders with a fork or fingers to seal tightly.
- Place the empanadas on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Brush each with remaining egg to colour and then cook for 15-20 minutes.