Scallop and bacon risotto with lemon thyme butter
Serve this fragrant creamy risotto in small portions as it is quite filling. The scallops add a touch of decadence without blowing the budget. This also makes a delicious supper on its own – just add a few handfuls of baby spinach leaves at the last minute for a complete meal in a bowl.
- Mash together the butter, thyme and lemon zest.
- Heat half the flavoured butter in a large saucepan or heavy frying pan, and gently saute the onion, garlic and bacon for about 4-5 minutes until just coloured.
- Add the rice and cook for 2-3 minutes to coat the grains in the butter and toast them slightly.
- Gradually add the hot stock 1 cup at a time, cooking gently and stirring, until the moisture is absorbed – this should take about 10-12 minutes and the grains should be al dente.
- Gently stir in the cream and parmesan and season to taste.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining flavoured butter and saute the scallops for about 2-3 minutes until they are puffed and translucent.
- Serve the fluffy risotto in warmed shallow bowls and top with lemon and thyme scallops. Drizzle over all the delicious cooking juices.