Lemongrass chicken skewers
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
Lemongrass is one of my favourite flavours, so I love these tasty barbecued chicken skewers. In Vietnam they cook over an open flame, which gives them a nice chargrilled flavour, but at home a barbecue or grill pan will suffice.
Makes 12 skewers.
- Place lemongrass, oil, fish sauce, turmeric, brown sugar, chilli and garlic in the bowl of a small food processor and blend until a paste forms. Alternatively, pound all ingredients together in a mortar and pestle.
- Marinate chicken in the paste for 15 minutes at room temperature. If you have time, marinate the chicken in the paste overnight in the fridge.
- When ready to cook, thread marinated chicken on bamboo skewers.
- Drizzle chicken skewers with a little oil and cook on a preheated barbecue grill or in a large grill pan on the stove top for 2-3 minutes each side or until cooked through.
- Serve skewers on a plate with lettuce and Asian herbs.
- To eat, pull meat off skewers and wrap a piece of meat up in a lettuce leaf with a few Asian herbs, dip in Nuoc Cham sauce and eat.