Beef skewers with balsamic and rosemary marinade
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
Marinades also useful for adding flavour. Take care when grilling though, because if the marinade has a sugary ingredient, the intense heat will char the glazed meat quickly.
|2 Tbsp||Fresh rosemary, chopped|
|1 tsp||Ground cumin|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
|1 to taste||Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
- Make the glaze by shaking the ingredients in a glass jar. Place the beef in a bowl with enough marinade to coat well.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and stand for an hour or refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Meanwhile, seed the capsicums, then remove the stalk and veins. Cut each one into long strips.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, toss in the capsicum strips and stir occasionally over a gentle heat for 20-25 minutes or until soft and sweet. Keep warm.
- Thread the beef onto 8 skewers – about 4 pieces on each skewer allows for 2 per person.
- Heat a grill pan or barbecue plate until very hot, then add the skewers and reduce the heat slightly.
- Grill the meat, turning occasionally until browned but still juicy and slightly rare.
- After cooking, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with the capsicum, a green salad and baked potatoes.