Fennel and scallop salad
Photo by Babiche Martens
Large, juicy and bright in colour, scallops are absolutely delicious. Here, I toss them very quickly with fennel to create a delicious warm salad.
Whether you're simply wrapping your scallops in bacon and barbecuing, or cooking them in their open half shells with an Asian herb butter, be careful not to overcook them. And no matter how you eat them, a squeeze of lemon is essential.
- Slice 1 bulb of fennel thinly and set aside. Chop the other fennel like an onion into small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan to a medium heat. Add the chopped fennel, shallots and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add the stock and wine. Cook until all the liquid has absorbed.
- Turn up the heat and add the rind, scallops and sliced fennel. Stir gently until the scallops are just cooked, 2 or 3 minutes should do it. The fennel will still have a nice crunch.
- Serve immediately on to plates with a squeeze of lemon juice, and chopped parsley.