( SERVES 6 )
A Tuscan salad of the ripest, sun-kissed tomatoes and day-old bread – the beauty of this is the way the juices are soaked up by the bread and soften it slightly. This is my basic variation, but feel free to add cucumber, boiled eggs, tuna, anchovies and capers for an Italian vibe.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Lay the capsicums on a tray and roast for 20 minutes until the skins are wrinkled.
- Remove from the tray and leave to cool, then peel off the skin. Halve and remove the seeds, then dice the peppers.
- Cut the tomatoes into bite-sized pieces, sprinkle with the salt and sugar, toss gently and leave to stand for about 10 minutes.
- Tear the bread into small pieces.
- On a large platter, arrange the diced tomatoes (reserve the juices), torn bread, capsicums and fresh basil.