These moreish nibbles are known as hushpuppies in the US.
|1 cup||Fine polenta|
|1 cup||Cornmeal flour, or standard flour|
|2 tsp||Baking powder|
|½ tsp||Freshly ground black pepper|
|50 g||Butter, melted|
|2 Tbsp||Hot sauce, I use Culleys green chile|
|2||Spring onions, chopped|
|2 handfuls||Fresh mixed herbs, e.g chervil and basil, chopped|
- Into a mixing bowl, sift the ground polenta (cornmeal) with the yellow cornmeal flour (or use regular flour), baking powder, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the melted butter and hot sauce.
- Coarsely grate the kernels from the corn cob into the buttermilk.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and mix together to form a coarse batter.
- Fold in the spring onions and chopped herbs.
- Chill batter for a while.
- Fry small spoonfuls of batter until golden, drain and season with flaky sea salt.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges and extra hot sauce.