Grilled market vegetables
Serve grilled vegetables as a side dish or for lunch with the fresh bread and cheeses you’ve also picked up from the market. An outdoor barbecue comes in handy here, but generally I use a long chargrill plate on the hobs — just open all the windows and doors to let the smoke out.
- Core and slice the tomatoes lengthwise into about 8 pieces.
- Sprinkle with salt and the herbs.
- Chop 8 of the anchovy fillets and mix through the tomatoes along with the capers.
- Drizzle over a little olive oil, cover and leave to marinate while you grill your vegetables.
- Preheat a barbecue grill or chargrill plate
- Place all the prepared vegetables in a large bowl, drizzle with a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place a batch of vegetables on the grill and cook until they have charred lines on all sides and begin to soften.
- Transfer to a large serving plate, drizzle with extra olive oil and add some of the garlic.
- Repeat with remaining vegetables and garlic.
- Chop the remaining 4 anchovy fillets and scatter over grilled vegetables with the torn herbs.
- Grind over black pepper. Top with the marinating tomatoes.
Make a change and use whatever vegetables are on offer at the market on the day. It’s also really nice to include a fennel bulb, cut into long slices, about 3mm thick.