Corn and coconut soup with scallops
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
When I served this soup to friends, everyone wanted the recipe. Serve it for lunch or as a small starter for dinner with friends.
|4||Corn cobs, fresh|
|1 tsp||Mustard seeds|
|1 tsp||Curry powder, heaped|
|2||Bay leaves, torn into pieces|
|1||Red capsicum, small, sweet, finely diced|
|1 tsp||Fresh ginger, grated|
|400 ml||Coconut cream|
|1||Lime, grated zest and juice|
|3 sprigs||Thai basil leaves, or use fresh basil|
|3||Spring onions, sliced diagonally|
- Husk the corn and slice off the kernels with a sharp knife. Put them aside with any milky juices scraped from the cobs.
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan, then add the mustard seeds, curry powder, bay leaves, capsicum and ginger.
- Cook gently until the mustard seeds start to pop. Add the kernels, salt and pepper and stir for a minute.
- Add the coconut cream and water, then simmer for 10 minutes over a gentle heat.
- Add the lime juice and zest, then taste. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- To serve, reheat the soup and when hot add the scallops. Let them simmer for up to 2 minutes or until cooked through.
- Divide the soup between 4 heated bowls and top with basil leaves and flowers and spring onion.