Barbecue aubergine salad
Photo by Babiche Martens
These wonderful vegetables are at their best in summer. The salad is topped with pomegranate which, although imported, adds wonderful flavour and colour. Molasses is also a favourite of mine. Combine it with thick Greek yoghurt to make a beautifully smooth dressing with a bit of tang. I am a fan of using the barbecue as much as possible, as it means less mess in the kitchen, and this salad lends itself perfectly to that.
- First make the dressing by combining all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat barbecue to a medium heat. Pour 25ml oil on to the hot plate.
- Add the aubergine and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft. Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil then the onion, garlic, chilli, peppers, courgettes, beans and tomatoes.
- Toss every 2 minutes and cook until slightly charred and golden and just cooked through.
- Add the aubergine back for the last 2 minutes to combine. Adjust seasoning.
- Serve on a platter. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and drizzle over the dressing.