Barbecue aubergine salad
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Babiche Martens
These wonderful vegetables are at their best in summer. The salad is topped with pomegranate which, although imported, adds wonderful flavour and colour. Molasses is also a favourite of mine. Combine it with thick Greek yoghurt to make a beautifully smooth dressing with a bit of tang. I am a fan of using the barbecue as much as possible, as it means less mess in the kitchen, and this salad lends itself perfectly to the barbecue.
- First make the dressing by combining all the ingredients, and refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat barbecue to a medium heat. Pour 25ml oil on to the hot plate.
- Add the aubergine and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft. Remove and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil then the onion, garlic, chilli, peppers, courgettes, beans, and tomatoes.
- Toss every 2 minutes and cook until slightly charred and golden and just cooked through.
- Add the aubergine back for the last 2 minutes to combine.
- Serve on a platter. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and drizzle over the dressing.