Caramelised pineapple with coconut and lime sorbet
Photo by Fiona Andersen
Slip into island time with this delicious dessert.
|½||Pineapple, large ripe, skin and core removed|
|¼ cup||Caster sugar|
|2||Mint leaves, finely chopped, optional|
Coconut and lime sorbet
- Slice pineapple into large 1cm-thick slices.
- Heat sugar and ¼ cup of the water in a large heavy based frying pan, stirring sugar until it dissolves.
- Boil sugar until it starts to turn a light golden caramel colour, then carefully add pineapple and toss in the caramel.
- Add butter and shake the pan to incorporate butter into the caramel.
- Add remaining water in small amounts as needed to prevent caramel from burning and continue cooking until pineapple is nicely coated in dark caramel.
- Divide pineapple and caramel between 2 bowls and top with 2 scoops of coconut and lime sorbet.
- Sprinkle with chopped mint and serve immediately.
- For the coconut and lime sorbet, place coconut cream and palm sugar into a medium-sized heavy based saucepan and warm over a medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved, then remove from heat, cool and add lime zest and juice. Churn in an icecream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions.