Summer skewers with basil, coriander and orange dressing
Photo by Michael Craig
This simple recipe celebrates big, fat, ripe tomatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degC.
- In a baking dish, add the eggplant and courgette with a cup of water and half a cup of oil.
- Bake till just coloured.
- Remove and cool.
- Skewer these with the mozzarella and baby tomatoes.
- Sit the skewers back in the baking dish and brush with some oil, season with salt and pepper.
- Turn on the grill in your oven.
- Place the skewers under the grill till the mozzarella is starting to melt.
- Remove and dress generously.
Basil, coriander and orange dressing
- Blitz the basil leaves, orange juice, coriander and half a cup of olive oil till well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper to your taste.
Note: Some years ago, I went to a flavour-building workshop taken by Glynn Christian. This man is a food genius. He pioneered British food television and has written some of most referred-to books. He happens to be a New Zealander. In this class he explained the relationship between flavours and I discovered the synergy between tomato, orange, coriander and basil. Thanks, Glynn.