Smoked salmon, avocado and potato salad with lemon mayo
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
This is a quick, simple, tasty and healthy dinner that I throw together when time is short and I need something filling on the table quickly. It is full of healthy poly unsaturated and monounsaturated fats from the salmon and avocado. Add some fresh herbs like flat-leaf parsley, basil or coriander for extra freshness, if you like.
|350 g||Green beans, up to 400g, trimmed and halved|
|600 g||Waxy potatoes, up to 700g, such as jersey bennes|
|2||Avocados, firm, ripe, sliced|
|¼ cup||Mayonnaise, lemon flavoured|
|400 g||Salmon - hot smoked fillets, flaked|
- Halve any larger potatoes (so they are all roughly the same size). Place potatoes in a pot with 1 tsp salt and cover with cold water.
- Bring to the boil and cook until just tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Place beans in a dish, pour over boiling water to cover and leave to stand for 2 minutes until bright green, then drain and refresh in iced water (so they retain their crunchiness).
- Drain potatoes and allow to cool to room temperature before lightly tossing with avocado, beans and lemon mayonnaise.
- Divide between plates and top with flakesof hot smoked salmon.
- Drizzle with any remaining lemon mayonnaise and grind over black pepper.
To make lemon mayonnaise: Combine ¼ cup good quality mayonnaise (I use Japanese Kewpie mayonnaise) with 3 Tbsp natural greek yoghurt and the finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.