Snapper, mushroom and scallop skewers
( SERVES 8 )
Photo by Tamara West
There is nothing more delicious than the combination of smoky bacon and sweet scallops. For a change I like to wrap the bacon around any type of fresh fish. Use long 25cm bamboo skewers so you can comfortably fit all the seafood and mushrooms on. Sere with a chilled oaked chardonnay, rose or light pinot noir.
- Slice fish into thick strips and wrap with bacon to make 16 portions. If your fillets are thin, stack slices on top of each other then wrap.
- Clean mushrooms with a damp paper towel, then slice in a half.
- Cut green tops of spring onion into 5cm lengths.
- Pierce a hole with the skewer through each mushroom to prevent the mushrooms splitting, and thread your skewers in this order: half mushroom, then a scallop, followed by bacon-wrapped fish, spring onion, scallop, followed by fish, spring onion, scallop and lastly a half mushroom.
- Season with flaky sea salt, drizzle with olive oil then cook on the barbecue or under a hot grill.