( SERVES 8 )
Photo by Grant Allen
Amazingly fresh, the texture of the courgette noodles truly emulates spaghetti.
|1 drizzle||Olive oil|
|1 cup||Baby spinach, leaves only|
|1 cup||Parmesan cheese, shredded|
|4 stems||Basil leaves, fresh|
- Shred washed and dried courgettes on a mandolin or with a julienne peeler and place in a large bowl.
- Toss the courgette "spaghetti" in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add baby spinach leaves and cover with hot tomato sauce.
- Portion into your serving glasses and top with parmesan and basil.
- Tomato sauce: Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a heavy-based pan over a low heat. Add the garlic and onion and stir for 10 minutes. Don't let the garlic burn.
- Bring up to moderate heat and add diced celery and carrot. Stir and cook vegetables until soft.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs, smoked paprika and 2 cups of water.
- Simmer for as long as possible, at least an hour, adding water if required.
- Puree with a stick blender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.