Sweet corn fritters with maple bacon and avocado cream
Fluffy and full of flavour, this makes an easy and impressive brunch dish or a light supper to be enjoyed with a glass of wine. Adding a drizzle of maple syrup to the bacon really brings out the smokiness.
|1¼ cups||Self raising flour|
|1||Spring onion, finely sliced|
|1 bunch||Coriander, small, finely chopped|
|1 cup||Corn kernels, raw and sweet, or in winter use canned|
|1 cup||Milk, warmed|
|1 tsp||Baking soda|
|40 g||Butter, melted|
|1 drizzle||Rice bran oil, for cooking|
|8 rashers||Streaky bacon|
|1 drizzle||Maple syrup|
|2 Tbsp||Lemon juice|
|1 Tbsp||Sour cream|
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, onion, coriander, corn and seasoning, and toss well to coat the ingredients in the flour.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. Mix milk with baking soda and butter, then add to eggs.
- Gently fold wet ingredients into dry to make a spoonable batter.
- Heat a little of the rice bran oil in a frying pan and add spoonfuls of the corn mixture.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes each side until golden and puffed. Set aside in a warm oven while cooking the remaining mixture.
- Meanwhile, spread the bacon on a lined tray. Brush with maple syrup and season with pepper.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes until crispy or done to your liking.
- Combine the avocado and lemon juice, and mash together until smooth, then mix in the sour cream and season to taste.
- Serve the fritters in a stack with crispy bacon on the side and a dollop of avocado cream.