Seared pineapple and mango salad with lime and coconut ice cream
The sweetness really comes to the fore in fruit when its sugars caramelise on the barbecue. Try other fruit, such as peaches, nectarines and bananas. The ice cream is super creamy and fluffy – perfect with the fruit!
- Remove the skin and eyes from the pineapple. Cut in half vertically and then cut into half-moon slices.
- Slice the mango from the stone and cut into thick pieces, removing the skin. Peel and deseed the paw paw and cut into thick wedges.
- Preheat the BBQ. Combine the vanilla, lemon juice, brown sugar and water to make a paste. Brush half all over the cut fruit, then sear it on all sides until coloured.
- For the ice cream, beat the egg yolks and ½ cup of the sugar with an electric beater for 4-5 minutes until pale. Then, slowly beat in the coconut, lime zest and juice.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks. Beat the egg whites until foamy then, while beating gradually, add the remaining half cup of sugar and beat until thick, white and glossy.
- Fold the cream and meringue into the coconut and lime mix. Transfer to a container and freeze overnight.
- Serve the hot grilled fruit with a scoop of ice cream.