Quick home-made baked beans
Not only are these baked beans good for brunch but they make a great accompaniment to pork sausages to serve later in the day.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan over a low heat and add the onion and garlic.
- Cook slowly for 10 minutes to soften the onion and garlic without colouring.
- Add the diced red pepper, chopped tomatoes, paprika and bay leaf. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cook, covered, for 10-15 minutes until the red pepper is soft.
- Add the borlotti beans and heat through. Sweeten to your taste with honey.
Serve with toast topped with avocado, that's been mashed with a little lemon juice, sliced tomato, basil leaves and salt and freshly ground black pepper. Or serve with grilled bacon and poached or fried eggs.