Easy Reuben sandwich
( SERVES 1 )
The best Reuben sandwiches strike a balance with a good helping of corned beef or pastrami, a bit of cheese, sauerkraut and Thousand Island Dressing.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the dressing on one piece of bread and top with half of the cheese, half of the sauerkraut, and all of the meat.
- Spread another tablespoon of the dressing over the meat and top with the remaining sauerkraut and cheese, in that order.
- Spread the remaining tablespoon of dressing on the remaining piece of bread and place it on top of the cheese, dressing side down.
- Press firmly to close the sandwich, then evenly spread the butter on the outside of the sandwich. Heat a heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium heat, place the sandwich in the pan, and press down on the sandwich with a spatula. Alternatively, you can cook the sandwich in a sandwich press.
- Cook until the bread is crisp and golden brown, about 4 minutes. Flip and cook until the second side is golden brown, the cheese is melted, and the sandwich is warmed through, about 4 minutes more.