Pickled vegetables with beetroot dip and anchovy mayonnaise
Vegetables and pickling mixture
|2||Fennel bulbs, baby|
|1||Lebanese cucumber, small|
|2 cups||Cider vinegar|
|3 Tbsp||White sugar|
|½ tsp||Fennel seeds|
|½ tsp||Cumin seeds|
|1 Tbsp||Coriander seeds, toasted|
|1 Tbsp||Sesame seeds, toasted|
|1 Tbsp||Cumin seeds, toasted|
|1||Orange, freshly zested|
|1 can||Baby beetroot, 840g|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
- For the vegetables, cut all the vegetables roughly lengthways, quartered or halved depending on size.
- For the pickling mixture, bring all the pickle ingredients to the boil. Add in the vegetables, then return to the boil.
- Turn off the heat and allow the vegetables to cool in the liquid.
- For the beetroot dip, in a mortar and pestle, grind the toasted seeds along with the orange zest.
- Blitz the baby beetroot in a food processor. Add the spices and the olive oil, and continue to blend until smooth.
- For the anchovy mayonnaise, place all the ingredients (except the oil and anchovies) in a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- With the motor still running, gradually add the olive oil until the mix is smooth and creamy. Stir in the chopped anchovies.