Make these divine mini trifles with creamy custard, spiced cake and berry jelly in screw-top jars or takeaway containers. These are even better the next day – the perfect, quick dessert to make in advance.
|1 cup||Apple juice|
|1½ cups||Mixed berries, slightly crushed, plus extra for garnish|
|1 tsp||Rosewater, or 2|
|300 ml||Custard, homemade or quality store-bought|
|1 Tbsp||Icing sugar|
|1||Brandy, or 2 nips|
|500 g||Cakes, Christmas cake or leftover steamed pudding, cut into bite-size pieces|
- Heat ¼ cup of the apple juice and stir in the gelatine until dissolved and clear.
- Add the remaining juice, crushed berries and rosewater, chill for 20-30 minutes until just starting to set or thicken, but still pourable.
- Meanwhile whisk together the mascarpone, custard, icing sugar and brandy. Chill.
- Arrange the cake pieces and brandy custard cream in rough layers, then spoon over the berry jelly, allowing it to flow through the layers.
- Chill for at least 3 hours or overnight. Top with extra berries to serve.