( SERVES 8 )
A fruity muesli is a lovely way to start Christmas Day. It can be made ahead and the oaty goodness will stand you in good stead for a long day of fun festivities.
I love my bircher with lots of texture so have used wholegrain oats, but if you prefer it smoother, use instant or crushed oats.
- Combine the oats, dried fruits, cinnamon, juice, water and yogurt and mix well.
- Cover and chill overnight (this makes the oats swell and absorb allthe flavours).
- The next day grate the apple and toss with the lemon or orange juice – to prevent browning.
- Combine the apple with the oats and add extra yoghurt to the desired consistency.
- Serve with fresh berries and pistachio nuts, drizzle with honey if desired.
- Serve in little glasses or a large jar and let your guests help themselves.
Note: I love my bircher with lots of texture so have used wholegrain oats, but if you prefer it smoother, use instant or crushed oats.