Cantonese spiced salt squid with herb mayo
|½ tsp||Caster sugar|
|300 ml||Olive oil|
|1 cup||Fresh mixed herbs, include flat-leaf parsley, basil, chervil|
|2||Lemons, one for juice, to taste, the other cut into wedges to serve|
|1 tsp||Szechuan peppercorn|
|2 tsp||Sea salt|
|300 g||Squid tubes, sliced|
|1 to serve||Watercress, or use rocket leaves|
|2 Tbsp||Olive oil|
- To make the mayo, put the yolks, salt, sugar and herbs into the processor.
- Blend until smooth and then very slowly drip in the olive oil. Add lemon juice to taste.
- In a pestle and mortar, add the peppercorns and salt (at a ratio of 1:2), then grind.
- In a frypan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the salt mix, stirring until fragrant, then add the squid.
- Toss for 2 or 3 minutes and then serve on watercress or rocket leaves with a dollop of mayo and a wedge of lemon.