Stuffed chicken parcels
Photo by Elizabeth Clarkson
- Wipe the chicken pieces well with paper towels, then place them between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Use a meat mallet or rolling pin to beat them lightly to flatten and make them a little thinner. Refrigerate.
- To make the stuffing, place the apricots in a small saucepan with enough water to just cover them. Simmer for 2 minutes, cool in the liquid and chop into small chunks, retaining any syrup.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan, then add the onion and cook over a gentle heat until soft and golden. Remove from the pan and cool. Combine the onion and buttery juices with the apricots and syrup, breadcrumbs, sage and salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- When the mixture is cold, spread a large tablespoonful onto each chicken thigh. Roll the thighs into neat parcels, then wind bacon rashers around each one.
- Sit the parcels, with the bacon seam-side down, on a rack in a roasting pan. Roast for about 30 minutes until the bacon is golden and the parcels cooked through. Cool, then cut each parcel in half.