Renee's critter fritters
( SERVES 30 )
- Place critter meat, onion, garlic, lemon zest and juice and herbs into a food processor and blend (yes we have been known to take the food processor camping).
- Transfer to a mixing bowl, add red pepper and season well with salt and pepper.
- Beat the eggs until bubbly and add. Sift in flour and curry powder and stir to combine. Add milk and stir.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed frying pan and cook a small amount of batter in a little butter as a tester to check seasoning and texture.
- Add a splash more milk to the mixture if it’s too thick.
- Cook spoonfuls of the mixture in butter until they are springy to touch, or coloured to your liking.
Note: If using tuatua, use rawas the shells are a bit easier to deal with than mussels, if using mussels you can give them a very quick cook in water/wine or stock until they are just starting to open, then remove the meat.