Walnut and raspberry pancakes with macerated strawberries and mascarpone cream
( MAKES 17-20 medium pancakes )
Photo by Tamara West
|1 punnet||Strawberries, chopped|
|2 Tbsp||Icing sugar, plus extra to sweeten mascarpone cream|
|¼ tsp||Ground cardamom|
|1||Lime, zest and juice|
|¼ cup||Creme fraiche|
|⅔ cup||Self raising flour|
|⅔ cup||Walnuts, ground|
|1||Lemon, zest and juice|
|1 punnet||Raspberries, or up to 2 punnets|
- To 1 punnet chopped strawberries add 2 Tbsp icing sugar, 1 Tbsp gin, 1/4 tsp ground cardamom and the zest and juice of a lime. Set aside.
- Mix 1/4 cup mascarpone with 1/4 cup creme fraiche, the zest of 1/2 an orange and icing sugar to taste. Chill
- Mix 2/3 cup self-raising flour with 2/3 cup ground walnuts and the zest of a lemon.
- Beat egg yolks with 1 cup buttermilk and the juice of the lemon and whisk into flour to form a thick batter.
- Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt to form stiff peaks. Gently fold the whites into the batter.
- Heat a non-stick pan with a little butter and cook spoonfuls of batter to make pancakes, when you flip them, add a few fresh raspberries.
- Serve, stacked on a plate and top with mascarpone cream and strawberries.
See Warren's other special breakfast recipes