Chicken livers on sourdough toast with a parsley and caper salad
( SERVES 4 )
Photo by Tamara West
|1 bunch||Flat leaf (Italian) parsley|
|2||Shallots, or small red onion, very finely sliced|
|1 Tbsp||Capers, chopped|
|1||Lemon, juiced (or more to taste), half zested for salad|
|450 g||Chicken livers|
|1 scoop||Cornmeal flour, well seasoned, for coating|
|1 dash||Olive oil|
|1 drizzle||Balsamic, or sherry vinegar|
|1 loaf||Sourdough bread|
- Make a herb salad using the leaves from a bunch of flat leaf parsley and a few sprigs of tarragon.
- Add very finely sliced shallots (or a small red onion), chopped capers and the zest of half a lemon.
- Cut cleaned chicken livers in half and dredge in well-seasoned cornmeal flour.
- Heat olive oil with a little butter in a frying pan and sear the livers until coloured on each side.
- Add balsamic (or sherry vinegar) and juice of half a lemon to deglaze the pan and coat the livers. Remove from heat.
- Toast or grill thick slices of sourdough, dress the salad with olive oil and lemon juice and pile livers and salad on toast.