( SERVES 12 )
Photo by Tamara West
Strawberries, warm from a roadside stall, are about as good as life gets. If any survive the trip home, put them to good use in these tartlets.
|4 Tbsp||Icing sugar|
|1||Vanilla bean, seeds scraped|
|500 ml||Cream, whipped|
|12||Pastry tart cases, sweet, (bought, or see recipe below)|
|1 to dust||Icing sugar|
Sweet short crust pastry cases
- Place mascarpone, lemon zest, icing sugar and vanilla bean seeds into a bowl and mix together with a wooden spoon.
- Fold in lightly whipped cream until just combined.
- Dip a dessertspoon in hot water and place 2 spoonfuls of mascarpone mix into each tartlet case.
- Hull strawberries, slice strawberries in half lengthways then arrange around the edge of the tartlets, before filling the middle, cut side facing outwards.
- Lightly dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.
- Pastrycases: Mix all ingredients together until well combined.
- Knead lightly, roll into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30minutes.
- Heat oven to 180C.
- Unwrap pastry, slice thinly and press into 12 x 10cm fluted tart tins with removable bases.
- Ensure pastry is evenly and thinly spread, about 2mm thick. Remove excess pastry from around edges.
- Refrigerate for 10minutes before lining with a sheet of baking paper (scrunch up, then unscrunch baking paper before placing over tart cases to make it easier).
- Fill with baking beans and blind bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool before removing paper and beans.
- Remove tart cases from tins when ready to use.