Festive Fare: Gingerbread creations
This recipe is perfect for keeping the kids busy during the holidays especially on a rainy day. Create your own gift tags or simply shape the gingerbread into cookies for afternoon tea.
|½ cup||Golden syrup|
|1 cup||Brown sugar|
|6¼ cups||Plain flour|
|½ cup||Self raising flour|
|¼ tsp||Baking powder|
|2 tsp||Baking soda|
|2 Tbsp||Ginger powder|
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter, treacle, golden syrup and sugar together until smooth and glossy.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for 20 minutes. Sift in the flours, baking powder, soda, ginger and egg.
- Gather the mixture into a large ball and gently knead together until smooth and evenly coloured.
- Wrap in clingfilm and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Roll out the gingerbread in small batches between sheets of baking paper, or with a little flour to stop any sticking, until 3-4mm thick.
- Cut into various shapes with cookie cutters or build your barn (see Go Online below).
- Cook the gingerbread on lined baking trays at 165C for about 12-15 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- The gingerbread will harden as it cools. Decorate with icing.
- For the icing: whisk the egg white until foamy, but not peaking, then add the lemon juice and icing sugar until you have a “drizzling” consistency.
- Spoon into a piping bag and decorate.